Princess Mary of Denmark shares the best advice she received from her mother ahead of her 50th birthday
Princess Mary of Denmark reflects on her life before her 50th birthday and remembers some of the wisdom her late mother, Henrietta Donaldson, passed on before her death from heart disease in 1997.
The royal spoke with Eurowoman Magazine ahead of her milestone birthday on February 5, revealing that her mother’s advice that “you can only be yourself” is something that has followed her for decades through all of her toughest times. “She was absolutely right about that. I remembered these words when I sometimes [felt like I was going to] lose myself,” she said. “My life has offered great changes, joys and sorrows. There are several defining events: The grief of losing my mother. The joy of then becoming a mother. My time at university. To meet Frederik. To marry the Crown Prince and become the Crown Princess of Denmark and the Danish people that I love so much. And maybe be 50, who knows? Mary is a mother of four children with her husband Crown Prince Frederik.
She added that she had no fears about turning 50 and, in fact, it made her feel more like a “whole person”. With age, she has also gained a new perspective on life and now feels confident that she can “relie more” on herself and “dare more”. She explained that in this next chapter of her life, she plans to continue supporting underrepresented and vulnerable communities and speaking out on topics such as violence, loneliness and grief. “Everyone has the right to belong,” she said.
Prior to this interview, Mary had only spoken publicly about the loss of her mother when she was 25, including during a visit to Children, Youth and Mourning, a support group for grieving young people. “It happened too soon,” the royal said of her mother’s death. “It’s so hard to see when it’s so close and so personal, but as you get older you learn to appreciate the time you spent together as a gift. And the loss offers something you wouldn’t otherwise have. “That makes a strong person. I wish I had more time with my mom. She’s a part of me.”
More great stories from vanity lounge
“Who burned down Pornhub’s palace?”
– Eight N95 and KN95 face masks to buy now
– Inside the Unlikely Rise and Precipitous Fall of Jerry Falwell Jr. at Liberty University
– Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson have settled the debt
“What to do with Britney Spears’ rage?”
— Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster open on The music manis back
– Cover: Priyanka Chopra Jonas on her excitement for the future
— Eve Babitz reveals all
– Kendall Jenner asked for approval before wearing a Barely There dress to a wedding
– Prince Andrew will ‘fade from sight’ after being stripped of his royal titles
– Extract from the archives: André Leon Talley on the love and importance of gloves, Darling
– Sign up for “The Buyline” to receive a curated list of fashion, book and beauty shopping in a weekly newsletter.